KOTA KINABALU, Oct 22 – Sabah Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor said he has sought an explanation from the Election Commission (EC) and the National Registration Department (NRD) on the significant rise in the number of new voters in his state.
The media earlier had reported a sudden increase in voters in Sabah from 1,064,686 people during GE14 in 2018 to 1,638,806 people this year for the 15th general election (GE15).
According to National News Agency BERNAMA, Hajiji had said that the matter had been discussed in the Sabah Cabinet meeting on Wednesday (Oct 19), and the EC and NRD are expected to give an explanation on Tuesday, Oct 25.
“There is something doubtful to us and it has been discussed at the state cabinet level…the surge of new voters, mostly registered as Malays in the EC’s latest electoral roll may not be from this state or the Peninsula,” he said in a statement today.
“This cannot be taken lightly. Others will come to our area later. We don’t want people to get power from the ballot box in this way, that’s why we made a report with the relevant parties.”