Disabled man dies in motorcycle shop fire

SUNGAI PETANI, Jan 28: A disabled son of a motorcycle shop owner died in a fire at the premises in Taman Sri Utama, Gurun early this morning.

The 34-year-old victim was found in the shop’s toilet in the incident that occurred around 4.40 am, said the Kedah Fire and Rescue Department (Rescue Operations Division), assistant director, Wan Mohd Hamizi Wan Mohd Zin. 

“We received an emergency call at 4.40 this morning and sent two teams from the Guar Chempedak and Yan stations with 16 personnel. 

“The one-storey shop was nearly 90 percent destroyed, and the fire was successfully put out at 5.17,” he said in a statement.

“The owner’s disabled son, who was trapped inside the premises, was pronounced dead at the scene,” he said.