MONTREAL, May 22 (Bernama-PA Media/dpa) — Max Verstappen has hinted that proposed changes to engine regulations for 2027 are likely to keep him in Formula 1, PA Media/dpa reported.
The four-time world champion has been the fiercest critic of the sport’s new rules, which see a 50-50 split between electrical and internal combustion engine (ICE) power, even suggesting he may walk away from F1.
An agreement in principle has been agreed which will tip the balance in favour of the ICE for 2027, although it needs to be rubber-stamped.
Speaking ahead of this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix, the Dutchman said he was happy with the changes and that it would help his enjoyment.
“It’s definitely heading into a positive direction. I think it is the minimum I was hoping for and it is really nice that that is what they want to do,” Verstappen said.
“I just want a good product in F1 and that will for sure improve the product.
“(My future) was also depending on the future rules, right? So the changes hopefully that will happen will help a lot. I said before it does not matter if I have a good car or not, it’s just the product and I think the product will improve like that.”
Verstappen competed at the Nürburgring 24-hour race last week in a GT3 car and has made no secret of his desire to race in other categories.
But he says remaining in F1 is what he wants and, pushed on whether the proposed changes would definitely see that happen, he added: “Yes or no does not matter, I’m happy where I’m at, I see the team progressing and that’s also very exciting to see.
“I always wanted to continue anyway but I also wanted to see change and I think the change that’s coming now is very positive, or at least almost back to normal.
“It will make the product better so that means I am happier, that is what I want to be able to continue in F1.”
— BERNAMA-PA MEDIA/dpa