PUTRAJAYA, Dec 16 – In view of the latest threat from the Covid-19 Omicron variant, Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin today announced that no mass gatherings to celebrate New Year or Christmas will be allowed.
However, smaller private parties will be allowed but with the condition that all attendees go through a self-test for Covid-19 before attending, he said at a press conference here today.
The minister also confirmed Malaysia’s second case of Omicron, saying that it involved a child travelling from Lagos, Nigeria to Malaysia with her family.
He said the Health Ministry has tested all members of the family and it has shown negative so far. The taxi driver who transported the family from the KLIA to their destination is currently undergoing testing.
He said those who were on the same flight were also identified for testing. He said tests were also being conducted on another 18 probable Omicron variant cases and the results are expected on Friday.
He also announced that the full vaccination status for those who have received Sinovac vaccines irrespective of their age will be withdrawn if they do not take their booster shots by February 2022.
He said this also applied to all those aged 60 and above who have received their vaccines irrespective of the type of vaccines they have taken.
Mass vaccination centres will be re-opened, he added.
He said the decision was made in view of the Omicron threat and the World Health Organisation (WHO)’s guidelines.