PUTRAJAYA, July 13 – The Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital (HTAR) in Klang has been supplied with more ventilators following fresh orders from the hospital as it been struggling with various issues such of lack of beds and other facilities following a surge in the number of COVID-19 patients in Klang.
In his Facebook posting today, Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said he had taken to personally visit the hospital’s emergency and forensic department today following viral news of the distressing situation in the hospital recently.
The prime minister said he had, together with Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba met with the senior management of HTAR and had received confirmation that the issue of additional ventilators for the hospital has been solved and the ventilators had been sent to the hospital.
The hospital also informed that the capacity of Intensive Care Unit beds for the COVID-19 treatment will be also be increased in the near future, while initiatives will be taken to use the HTAR Daily Treatment Complex as a temporary ward to treat the patients, he said.
Muhyiddin also said the government was doing its best to be on track to reach its vaccination plan objectives before the end of this year.
The country’s vaccination rate has also gained momentum and to accelerate the transition in phase of the immunisation plan, especially in high risk areas such as the Klang Valley, the Government will buy additional vaccines of two million doses and distribute to Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Negeri Sembilan starting end of July, he said.
Commending the hard work and sacrifices of frontliners in the country, Muhyiddin during his visit to HTAR today also told reporters that the issue of contract medical officers will be addressed at the upcoming Cabinet meeting.
National news agency BERNAMA reported that the Prime Minister had said an addition of RM2 billion will be required to look into the issue of contract medical officers who are appealing to be given permanent postings in hospitals.
He said a proposal from the Ministry of Health will be discussed at the Cabinet meeting to see a resolution for this long outstanding issue.
The plight of contract doctors, who have been losing out on specialisation opportunity, which requires 11 years of full employment, as well as better pay and other perks enjoyed by permanent doctors, has gained much attention and sympathy from various factions especially in the prevailing COVID-19 scenario.
Recently, the contract doctors started their CODE BLACK campaign starting from July 1st, culminating with a a silent protest on July 12, codenamed Black Monday, where the protesting doctors turned up in black attire to work.
During a press conference on Monday, the Malaysian Medical Association (MMA)/Section Concerning House Officers, Medical Officers and Specialists (SCHOMOS) chairperson Dr. Vijay Ganasan said the association will be following closely the government’s decision on the contract healthcare workers.
He said the association had met with the Health Ministry last week and had been informed that their issue will be discussed at the Cabinet.
The following are some of the appeals of the contract staff:
* Clear and available career pathway / postgraduate pathway to specialisation for our contract doctors
* Detailed and transparent criteria for permanent posts
* Equal and fair treatment between contract and permanent staff
*Job security for all healthcare worker