EPL: Luton’s Tom Lockyer suffers cardiac arrest in match against Bournemouth; Man City slip up

Image courtesy of Tom Lockyer’s FB

LONDON, Dec 17: The English Premier League game between Bournemouth and Luton on Saturday was suspended halfway through the second half with the score 1-1 after Luton defender Tom Lockyer collapsed on the pitch with a cardiac arrest, reported Xinhua.

Lockyer received attention from paramedics for several minutes on the pitch before being sent to the dressing room.

He was then carried off on a stretcher, with supporters of both teams giving him an ovation, and was later reported to be “alert and responsive” in the tunnel.

Manchester City’s title hopes suffered another setback as they surrendered a 2-0 lead at home to Crystal Palace, who took a point with a 95th-minute goal from Michael Olise after a wild challenge by Phil Foden.

Things looked to be running to script after Jack Grealish put City ahead in the 24th minute, and the points looked safe when Rico Lewis made it 2-0 in the 54th minute.

Jean-Philippe Mateta gave Palace hope when he slid home with 15 minutes left and Olise kept his calm to make it 2-2 right at the end.

Sheffield United threatened to deepen Chelsea’s crisis as they held Mauricio Pochettino’s side 0-0 at halftime, but second-half goals from Cole Palmer and Nicolas Jackson gave Chelsea a relatively comfortable win.

Newcastle United’s task against Fulham was made much easier when Fulham striker Raul Jimenez was sent off for a wild challenge midway through the first half of their game at St James’ Park.

Although Fulham kept it 0-0 at halftime, second-half strikes from Lewis Miley, Miguel Almiron, and Dan Burn got the home side comfortably over the line.

Everton coach Sean Dyche enjoyed a happy return to face his former club as his side inflicted a 2-0 defeat on Burnley at Turf Moor.

First half goals from Amadou Onana and Michael Keane lifted Everton seven points clear of the bottom three as they created the best chances, despite Burnley controlling most of the ball.

On Friday night, Tottenham ramped up the pressure on Nottingham Forest boss Steve Cooper with a 2-0 win at the City Ground.

Dejan Kulusevski assisted Richarlison for Tottenham’s opener on the stroke of halftime and then took advantage of a Matt Turner error to score the second in the 65th minute.

Spurs were down to 10 men after Yves Bissouma was shown a direct red card for a bad challenge with 20 minutes to go, but Tottenham held on against a side lacking punch in attack.