Collapsed culvert linked to sinkhole on Federal Route FT033 – Nanta


MELAKA, Nov 30 (Bernama) — An initial report from the Public Works Department (JKR) has confirmed that a collapsed culvert was likely the cause of the sinkhole that appeared on the fast lane of Federal Route FT033, Section 22.0, Lebuh Sungai Udang-Paya Rumput-Ayer Keroh (Lebuh SPA), heading towards Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka (UTeM) last night.

Works Minister, Datuk Seri Alexander Nanta Linggi, said further investigation would be carried out before any repair work begins in the affected area.

“We will examine the culvert structure along this road. It’s also possible that the culvert on the opposite side of the road is facing similar issues,” he said, after inspecting the sinkhole today.

Also present was State Works, Infrastructure, Public Amenities, and Transport Committee chairman Datuk Hameed Mytheen Kunju Basheer.

The sinkhole was discovered at 11.18 pm last night with an estimated size of 10 metres in length and 5 metres in width. Fortunately, no accidents involving road users were reported.

In a separate update, Nanta said 145 road locations across the country had been affected by disasters, including 63 federal roads and 82 state roads.

In addition, 82 locations were impacted by flooding, 32 by flash floods, landslides (16), road collapses (nine), by road subsidence (five), and one by a damaged or collapsed bridge.

Meanwhile, the Works Ministry (KKR) issued a statement confirming that the sinkhole on Lebuh SPA was caused by the failure of a culvert structure measuring 1.8 metres by 1.8 metres, extending 40 metres in length and located at a depth of 10 to 11 metres. This structural failure resulted in the subsidence of the road surface above.

To ensure safety, immediate mitigation measures have been implemented, including the installation of warning signs, traffic diversions, and the closure of the fast lane for 300 metres in both directions.

For permanent repairs, the plan includes excavating an area measuring 10 metres by 5 metres to a depth of 10 metres and installing a temporary sheet pile to identify the affected culvert structure. The damaged concrete culvert will be replaced, the soil backfilled and compacted, and the road structures and furnishings repaired.

“The repair work is expected to take approximately two months, depending on soil conditions and weather. The estimated cost for these repairs is around RM2.5 million, with a more detailed breakdown to be provided after forensic investigations by JKR Malaysia are completed,” read the statement.

— BERNAMA